Wednesday, February 16, 2011

St. Thomas - (First Cruise- Installment #2)

Day two began at the cruise dock located near Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas.  Now if you are a big shopper, every island is packed with shops and locals trying to sell you things as soon as you disembark.  There is usually quite a selection, with jewelry being the big ticket item.  After a while i found the bombardment to be quite frustrating and annoying but you can't blame them for trying to make a living.


Now, I'm not a big fan of shopping so I made my way to find some local transportation.  I found it quite easy to get around on the islands.  There was what seemed like an endless supply of taxis and what I would call safari type trucks (picture below).  In my opinion the trucks were the way to go as long as you don't mind riding with a truck load of tourists!  





I found the open air environment of the truck to be quite enjoyable.  Not only did it feel like a roller coaster but I was able to take great pictures without worry.


My goal was to make it to Trunk Bay on St. John.  St. John is a neighboring island, only about a 4 mile ferry ride from Red Hook.  I wanted to go to Trunk Bay for a few reasons, but most importantly approximately 2/3 of St. John is a national park, which means there are a lot of trails for hiking but there also are a lot of beaches that are generally less crowded.  Trunk Bay is beautiful, the nicest beach that I came across all trip.  Trunk Bay has that perfect white sand that is soft on your feet and comfortable to walk on without sandals.  Another great thing about Trunk Bay is that they rent snorkeling gear and have a self guided tour of the reef.  The reef was nothing extraordinary, but i did like how they had stones marking different elements along the path.


   Trunk Bay, View from a scenic overlook.


The trip to Trunk Bay was perfect!  The weather could not have been any better; however, the trip from Charlotte Amalie and the schedule of the ferry left only about 2 hours to enjoy trunk bay.  Which for me was long enough.  


Once back in Red Hook, It was time to find some lunch.  There was a place that i read about; however, I was unable to find it.  I probably could have if i really tried, but decided that it would be best to just take a walk and see what was around.  Not far from the ferry there was a place called "fat boys," a bar.  Usually I wouldn't link a bar with having great food; however, this place was the exception.  The Bartender was a blast and the food was outstanding.  I ordered a Mako Shark sandwich, cooked and seasoned to perfection.  I tell you what, that sandwich alone would bring me back!


Well i had to include the Fat Boys sign, after all it was the best food
I had all trip.  (http://www.fatboysusvi.com/)
I enjoyed the place so much, I stayed there until the last possible second before catching a taxi back to the cruise ship.

Looking Back:

St. Thomas was a blast.  I had the best Mako Shark sandwich I have ever had and probably ever will have.  The voyage to Trunk Bay was outstanding.  There was all sorts of sea life to see while on the ferry, I saw dolphins.  The beach at Trunk Bay was wonderful and the weather was unparalleled!


Well that is all for St. Thomas, Next up Dominica.

No comments:

Post a Comment