Sunday, February 27, 2011

St. Kitts (First Cruise - Installment #7)

St. Kitts, like all the Caribbean islands is quite small, only about 65 square miles.  it has yet to really catch up with the development of the other islands leaving it relatively un-crowded and unspoiled.  According to the St. Kitts website, it is a big hit for nature lovers, because the ecosystem has been so well preserved; furthermore, nature lovers will want to take advantage of tours through lava formation, tropical rain forest, seaside lagoons, scuba diving, and snorkeling.  While St. Kitts offers plenty for the nature lover, it also offers tours of plantations and plenty of quaint shopping areas with beautiful colonial architecture. (facts from the official St. Kitts website).


View of St. Kitts (from Google)


As for my experience on St. Kits, there is not much to say.  It was the last island the cruise stopped at before returning to Puerto Rico and I became quite ill.  Instead of going out and doing something big like touring the island with the friends I had made over the past few days, I decided to just take an easy stroll around the town and do a little shopping.  To this point I hadn't had a chance to get any souvenirs, so today was the perfect day to make some last minute purchases for friends and family.

I would have to agree somewhat with the information I gathered off of the St. Kitts website.  Out of all the islands, St. Kitts, really had some of the nicer architecture.  Most of the other islands were more of what i would consider a "slum".  The buildings that did exist in the towns were poorly taken care of and looked like they were, in many cases, ready to fall in on themselves.  As for St. Kitts, there was a lot of what I experienced on the other islands; however, by the cruise dock, there was a series of buildings that were quite nice and looked relatively new.  To me it was something of an outdoor mall.  There was a large pathway down the center, the main corridor, that became a courtyard.  Throughout the day there were street performers, many of which put on a series of shows, most of which entailed elegant costumes with dancing and festive music.  


Looking Back


I wish I had stayed sick free; however, who really wants to get sick.  I really wish I would have sucked it up and gone on the tour with my friends, but it was nice to have an easy and relaxing day.  Not to mention it felt good to shop and get some souvenirs to bring home.


If I were to ever go back, I would definitely take time to do a tour.  They are easy to set up and everything is taken care of for you.  The islanders are very friendly and they know how to have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment