Monday, February 14, 2011

My First Cruise (Installment #1)

I have always wanted to take a cruise, if for no other reason than to experience the Caribbean.  A cruise is a great way to experience a lot in a short period of time and I feel it is one of the best ways to experience islands.  


In October 2009, I found a great deal on a cruise through carnival.  The economy was nearing the base of the recession.  Needless to say it was the perfect time to take a vacation.  Anyway, I booked a 7 night cruise with the following ports of call: Puerto Rico (cruise began and ended here), St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, and St. Kitts.  For me it was perfect.  Each day was a new island and a new adventure.



Puerto Rico


The San Juan airport, to me was an average sized airport, not that much different from that of the Rochester, Ny airport.  I found it rather easy to negotiate and get to where i needed to be; moreover, finding a taxi was a breeze.  Just outside of the airport you will find a kiosk, similar to what valets use.  The workers were friendly and had us on our way in no time.  The cabbie was very friendly and even gave a tour, spouting interesting facts along the route to the hotel.


The Howard Johnson, located in Old San Juan and adjacent to the Plaza de Armas, was a delightful little hotel.  I made reservations to stay there for a few reasons, most importantly due to its central location in the heart of Old San Juan.  




The room had a large semi-private terrace (above) overlooking the plaza; however, be warned that the door to the terrace only had one handle located on the inside.  If you were to close the door while you were outside, you would be locked out of your room!  For the night, the room ran close to $150, not the cheapest place that i came across in my research; however, it had everything I was looking for: adjacent to various shops, clubs, and restaurants, a short downhill walk to the cruise ships, and centrally located within Old San Juan making it a great "base camp".

Breakfast was and adventure.  I had no idea where to go.  I asked the concierge to some advice and if there were any places that he recommended.  He of course recommended the continental breakfast consisting of yogurt, juice, coffee, and bagels which just wasn't what I was after.  Figuring there had to be something better out there, I took off for the day.  After only a short walk crossing the plaza and taking a left down a side street, I found a busy little diner, La Mallorquina, that had exactly what I was looking for.  The food was delicious and most importantly they had fresh squeezed orange juice!  I wouldn't say it was a 5 star, but it was one of if not the best breakfast I had all trip.  


After breakfast it was time to venture out and see what San Juan had to offer.  Since I was only there for the afternoon I decided it would be best to stay in Old San Juan and enjoy a nice walk around the city.


I have found that for most cities you can find maps that will point out places of interest and Old San Juan is no different.  Below is a map for Old San Juan.



I took a similar journey to what is depicted in the above map; however, there is a path nestled between the City Walls and the coastline.  This Path leads all the way to the base of the fort, Castillo de San Felipe del Morro.  The path dead ends at the base of the fort; however, it is well worth it and only a short walk back to the "San Juan Gate" which leads you back into the city and you can continue on your way.


As for points of interest I would definitely recommend taking some time to explore the fort.  I found it enjoyable and unlike most museums, castle, forts, that I have been to in the past, this one has no restrictions, no barricades.  You are free to investigate every nook and cranny.  One of my favorite parts was checking out the "turrets" and imaging what past armies must have seen.  



This is a shot looking at one of the turrets.

For dinner I stopped at a place on the water called "senor frogs" it was mediocre.  The atmosphere was nice, the had pretty good drink specials, and they had a lot of TV's.  I would recommend going there if you wanted to see a sporting event, otherwise it would be worth while to continue your search.

After dinner I came across a show in the plaza outside of the Howard Johnson.  They were telling a story through narration, dance, and music.  And even with my almost non-existent understanding of the spanish language I still found it enjoyable.

Looking Back:

Puerto Rico worked out better than I could ever have planned.  The weather was great and I was able to see everything the old part of the city had to offer.  If you are big into shopping there are plenty of small shops where you can easily get your fill.  The old city also is pretty well known for its night life and is a great place to hang out if you are interested in going to clubs/bars.  As for hotels, there are plenty to choose from, including some closer to the cruise docks, but for these be prepared to spend a lot more per night.  I also would like to note that there is so much more to do in Puerto Rico.  Many things that I would love to do if I ever go back, but for a limited amount of time I don't think it gets any better than a walk around the Old city.  (below are a few more pictures taken around the city).


Picture taken along the Path between the coast and the city walls

 Another Shot along the Path between the coast and the city walls

 A gathering space located at the southwest corner of Old San Juan

 A Picture of the Cruise Ship

There was quite a view from the Fort, whether looking out to see or back towards the city 

This is a picture of a war memorial located just outside of the capital building

Well that is all for Puerto Rico, feel free to leave comments or questions.  Next on to St. Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment